The Senior Manager for Payroll is responsible for directing the corporate payroll functions including payroll processing, payroll taxes, and working with senior payroll management team to develop and execute corporate payroll strategies, planning, and marketing of the payroll function and related services. Primary liaison between both Envision and AMSURG payroll department and the business. Ensures adequate controls exist and all federal and state wage and hour laws are followed. The Senior Payroll Manager will be the Subject Matter Expert for payroll within the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Responsible for the oversight of payroll administration and garnishments in a multi-company, multi-state environment for a portion of the 35,000 Envision employees and Independent Contractors paid by the payroll team and the 3,500 AMSURG employees paid.
· Accountable for the accuracy and timeliness of payroll processing and all payroll KPI’s.
· Collaborate with Senior Payroll Leadership on developing the vision for future-state process and systems, including project plans, monitoring, and reporting of process improvements.
· Assist in supporting any level of acquisition initiatives related to payroll and payroll related processes.
· Maintain and manage payroll related legal and regulatory compliance.
· Establish and maintain a strong relationship with business segment leaders, internal departments, and external vendors.
· Ensure accuracy in the processing of garnishments, child support, and IRS levies that are administered by the payroll team.
· Assist with internal audit review of controls and process compliance.
· Facilitates internal and external audit requests for payroll related data.
· Coordinates with Accounting Systems Director and HRIS team to alleviate costing issues related to pay related items.
· Assists with the development and implementation of national payroll procedure and policy change.
· Ensures accurate reporting of Envision Healthcare payroll metrics on a monthly basis.
· Works with the General Ledger team on month-end payroll costing and file transmission
· Maintain compliance with all employment laws and supports affirmative action/equal opportunity goals.
· Adhere to all company policies and procedures.
· Mentor employees, conduct performance evaluations, counsel and provide disciplinary actions to assigned personnel, and works to facilitate individual and team development that drives positive results. Champion affirmative action efforts in all aspects of employment, including but not limited to staffing, training, promotion, etc.
· Supervise and mentor the Payroll production team and ensure duties are being performed accurately and timely
· Reads and abides by the company’s code of conduct, ethics statements, employee handbook(s), policies and procedures and other corporate mandates, including participation in mandatory training programs
· Reports any real or suspected violation of the corporate compliance program, company policies and procedures, harassment or other prohibited activities in accordance with the reporting policies of the company
· Obtains clarification of policy whenever necessary and may use the resources available through the Compliance, Human Resources or Legal Department to do so
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· BS/BA in Accounting or related field or equivalent experience
· Minimum of four years managing payroll departments within large multi-state companies
· In-depth knowledge of payroll tax processing, internal/external audits, garnishments and wage and hour requirements.
· Strong working knowledge of MS Office
· Strong management knowledge with abilities to handle high-stress situations
· Ability to analyze output and propose problem-solving solutions
· Knowledge/experience in auditing of payroll
· Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
· Ability to work independently as well as within the team, and under time constraints to meet schedules and deadlines
· Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office and ability to navigate an ERP Payroll Software
· Ability to coach, develop and guide department with strong leadership skills
· Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing across all levels of the organization and 3rd party vendors
· Analytical thinking and good math skills
· Bachelor's Degree from four-year College or University and eight or more years of management experience
· Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) certification preferred
· Healthcare industry experience preferred
· Experience working both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
· Experience with multiple entities / companies, multiple tax jurisdictions within a multi-frequency payroll for a large number of employees
· Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel and Word
· Oracle or Ultimate Payroll Software experience preferred
· Trains, coaches, guide and mentors team
· Responsible for managing non-exempt and exempt employees
· Plan and conduct annual performance appraisals and talent assessments of staff, recommending merits, bonuses and promotions and administering corrective actions when necessary
HIPAA Access Level:
[X] Low Level – No Access to Patient Information
 Med Level – View Only Access to Patient Information
 High Level – View/Edit to Patient Information (Generally limited to Providers or care givers)
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
1. Driving Results:
Accountability - Holds team and self, responsible for maintaining the highest possible performance standards and meeting agreed upon commitments even under difficult circumstances; demonstrates passion for excellence in every aspect of work; sets ambitious goals; holds self and others accountable for meeting standards and goals; takes responsibility for outcomes of actions and decisions; achieves results even in the face of challenges and setbacks
Constructive Thinking / Decision Making - Analyzes problems systematically and logically, and is resourceful when developing and implementing solutions; analyzes all relevant issues and available data before acting, keeping overall goals in mind; generates creative ideas and solutions problems; able to think out-of-the-box; detects patterns and connections not immediately obvious to others; breaks down complex problems into discrete components; Makes good decisions (without considering how much time it takes) based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; most of his/her solutions and suggestions turn out to be correct and accurate when judged over time; sought out by others for advice and solutions.
2. Intellectual Capacity
Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions. Conducts cost-benefit analyses . Displays orientation to profitability. Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition. Aligns work with strategic goals.
Functional/Technical Skills - Has functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment; demonstrates an avid interest in continuously enhancing current skills and learning new ones; applies functional or technical knowledge to process innovation and complex problem solving
Building & Strengthening Relationships - Builds and maintains long-term relationships with others based on mutual respect and trust. Fosters cooperation and collaborative decision making among staff with diverse backgrounds and interests. Works effectively towards solutions and compromises that take the needs of all parties into account when conflicts arise; facilitates open communication among people who depend on each other to get work done; surfaces and diffuses potential sources of conflict before they escalate; demonstrates respect for others through both word and deed; negotiates solutions to conflict fairly and diplomatically.
Communicating Effectively - Articulates logical and well-founded arguments that support conclusions; matches communication style to the message and audience; Actively solicits opinions from others. Routinely provides others with the information they need to do their jobs; expresses ideas clearly, succinctly and logically; responds constructively to issues and concerns raised by others; informs others about pertinent issues in a timely manner; seeks input from others when developing solutions to complex problems.
Conflict Management - Steps up to conflicts, seeing them as opportunities; reads situations quickly; good at focused listening; can hammer out tough agreements and settle disputes equitably; can find common ground and get cooperation with minimum noise.
4. Leading Change
Service Orientation & Customer Focus - Sets and maintains high standards for service internal and external customers and other departments; incorporates needs and concerns of diverse constituencies into decision-making; assesses and often anticipates customer's needs; holds self and others accountable for meeting or exceeding customer needs and expectations; takes customer needs and interests into account when making decisions; seizes opportunities for improving customer satisfaction.
5. Leading People
Ethics, Values, Integrity & Trust - Adheres to an appropriate (for the setting) and effective set of core values and beliefs during both good and bad times; acts in line with those values; rewards the right values and disapproves of others; practices what he/she preaches; is widely trusted; is seen as a direct, truthful individual; can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; doesn't misrepresent him/herself for personal gain
Leading and Developing Others - Attracts and selects strong people; provides motivating guidance, coaching and constructive feedback; conveys passion appropriately, inspiring commitment; engages and develops the people who can meet the Company's needs by providing them with meaningful opportunities; models the behavior being asked of others.